The aronia berries grow on small-grown shrubs and originate from North America. The berries have long been grown in Eastern Europe where it has long been used as a medicinal plant for its trusted beneficial and healing properties. Aronia also grows here in Sweden, but it is only recently that the aronia berry has gained attention and gained popularity among health-conscious people. They’re considered one of the richest sources of plant antioxidants, which are said to offer many health-promoting properties. The high content of vitamins and minerals make aronia count as what is usually referred to as "super berry".
What is aronia good for?
The aronia berry is a real nutritional bomb with its content of vitamins A, B, C, E and K. In addition, aronia contains large amounts of beta-carotene and several minerals such as potassium, phosphorus and iron. Aronia is also loaded with folic acid.
The high levels of vitamins C and E, which are two powerful antioxidants, help fight off free radicals and protect the body's cells against organ diseases, memory loss, oxidative stress, many types of cancers and it has anti-diabetic properties. One study from 2012, that was looking at insulin-resistant rats, found that an aronia extract fought insulin resistance on several levels. This result potentially makes it an effective aid in preventing diabetes from developing.
How can aronia be used?
Aronia has a slightly pungent taste which they are often made into juice and a key ingredient in jams, purées, syrups, teas, and wines. Here are some ways to add aronia berries to your diet:
● Raw - They can be eaten fresh or dried as a snack, but their mouth-drying effects may not be for everyone.
● Juices and smoothies - Aronia berries or their juice can be combined with other fruits, such as pineapples, apples, or strawberries, to make a refreshing drink.
● Baking - You can easily add them to muffins, cakes, and pies.
● Jams and desserts - Mix aronia berries with sugar to make different jams and tasty treats.
● Tea, coffee, and wine - Aronia berries can be found as an ingredient in teas, wine, and coffee.
● Supplemented in powdered or capsule form - A typical serving suggestion is to add one teaspoon of aronia berry powder to a juice, yogurt, or smoothie.
Where to buy aronia?
Apart from the fact that the bushes can be planted and the berries can be grown themselves, today more and more aronia is emerging as health food products in well-stocked health food stores. Aronia is sold as dried berries, powder and capsules, which allows you to easily access the useful content of the aronia berry without having your own bush at home.
With all of that said aronia is something special. It is truly a superberry that can fight many diseases and strengthen the body in a very positive way.